The photos below were taken in Ireland between 1860- 1880. They come from a collection released by the National Library which also included those in this post. 1860-1880 was a period of change in Ireland where the modern world co-existed with lives that had changed little in centuries and this is evident throughout these photo’s. The first picture is the Royal George a coast guard in Ireland which looks like something right out of the battle of Trafalgar.
HMS Royal George
Built in 1827 this wooden frigate had been fitted with steam engines by the time this picture was taken. It has two gun decks seen from the gun ports. It operated as the coast Guard from Dun Laoghaire (then Kingstown) from 1865 – 69 until it was sold out of the navy.
Hazelwood House Sligo
Hazelwood was the home of the Wynn family, large landlords in Co. Sligo. Unfortunately today the house is in a state of poor repair desperately in need of renovation.
Dugort, Achill Island, Co Mayo.
Dugort was a protestant mission built on Achill in the early 19th century by Edward Nangle. According to the playright J.M. Synge The mission gained a poor reputation during the famine for “souperism” – the practice of giving food in return for religious conversion from catholicism to protestantism. Just after the famine Achill was visited by Harriet Martineau, who wrote a discription of Dugort… “The houses of the settlement occupy two sides of a square; and apart stands, on a third side, the dwelling of Mr. Nangle. There is a little church, and a post-office, and a humble inn; the houses are all whitewashed, and all but one slated. On a hill behind Mr. Nangle’s are some unroofed cottages; and close by, a more dreary sight still, the hamlet of Dugort on the cliff, with its filth and apparent misery. We inquired how it could have happened that, in full view of the settlement, this place could, at the end of seventeen years, be what it is? The answer was that the property of the place has till now been Sir Kichard O’Donnell’s, and that all the mission could do was to educate the children of the Catholic parents living there, hoping for the effects to appear in the next generation—as in Keel and other Catholic places. Now, the mission having bought half the island, the influence of its presence upon the population may be expected to be much greater.” This is an extract from Martineau’s less than sympathetic work “Letters from Ireland” available in its entirety on Google Books. Written in 1852 just as the famine drew to a close Martineau says the population had dropped from 6000- 4000. The population of Achill today is around 2700.
Dooagh, Achill Island, Co. Mayo
Unsurprisingly Martineau had little time for Dooagh or its people. In 1852 She wrote “Proceeding from Keel, we went through the village of Dooagh—sordid, like the rest”
Tall Ships, Waterford city, Co Waterford.
Last weekend the Tall Ships Race visited Waterford. This was harking back to the era when this photo was taken when it was normal occurance for such ships to visit Waterford. The bridge in the foreground was completely rebuilt in the 20th century
Ballybunion, Co Kerry
This row of three house was built almost on the shore line as can be seen. Remarkably another photo was taken of the cottages around 20 or 30 years later showing the row of houses in a very different state of repair (below). The only house surviving when this shot was taken is the one on the seaward side of the terrace. It is substancially buttressed between the door and the window and again between the window and the gable.
The only house surviving is the one on the seaward side of the terrace. It has been substantially buttressed between the door and the window and the window and the gable.
Lurgan, Co Armagh
This photo was taken on Market day.
Warrenpoint Co. Down
This town compared to Dooagh on Achill Island seems to be booming, indeed the North East of Ireland enjoyed a economic boom through industrailisation in the later half of the 19th century. The ruins of the windmill still stand in Warrenpoint today.
Military Barracks Newry Co Down
British army barracks were a common feature all across Ireland in the 19th century creating what were often called garrison towns. According to the National Library notes the uniforms indicate the photo was taken before 1881.
O Connel St, Dublin 1
This photo was dated to the later half of 1882 by the National Library. This was possible due to the incomplete nature of O Connel Statue ( railings were later added and statues to represent the four provinces were not present). You can see tramlines on the South Quays and one tram crossing O Connell Bridge. Between the two men walking down the Quay are the words “T Boyce”. I am not sure is this a someone claiming a spot for horse carraige for hire or simple graffitti. While the overall street scape looks relatively similar to today many of the buildings in this photo were severely damaged or destroyed by the British Army during the 1916 rebellion.
Clifden, Co Mayo
Bray Co. Wicklow
In the foreground the 19th century equivalent of taxi’s wait for passengers. There are two trains in the station – you can see steam bellowing from one in the centre of the photograph and to its right are the carriages of what seems to be a freight train.